Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Please step over here onto the...

There was a Seinfeld episode where Jerry said that the number one fear of people is public speaking, even over death. So in turn, people would rather be the dead person in the casket than the person giving the eulogy! lol. That was one of the funniest things I have ever heard, and agreed for the fact that speaking in public has always been horrific for me. I mean, I can sing in front of hundreds of people, but if you asked me to speak the words of the song I would have a nervous breakdown. I know, it makes no sense...I think though if you asked women what their number one fear is it would be... the... scale, not death or public speaking. It's MINE!!! The very thought of stepping onto it makes me break into a cold sweat and my heart starts palpitating. What is that all about? How can a device used to measure how much our body is in pounds make women so paranoid that we avoid the doctor? I could contract a flesh eating bacteria, and in my mind I am thinking, "Man, if I go to the doctor they are going to force me onto that scale."Am I that scared to find out what that evil number really is? You bet I am. One of my friends informed me that when she goes to the doctor she refuses to get on the scale. Wow. I was amazed. "You can actually do that? You can say that and they won't call security and have them handcuff you and force you onto it?" I thought she was a freaking genius. I never thought of that...instead I just mumble to the nurse who knows it aint gonna be pretty when I step on that death contraption, "Please don't tell me what it is."
Of course there is a method to getting on the scale. For Gods Sake I don't just walk in in my winter coat and boots and hop onto that thing, No way Jose'...I rethink this before I go. It starts with deciding what my most light-weight pants are, and I am for sure not wearing a heavy top...something light as a feather, and hopefully it's summer so not only can I just slip off my sandals, but I don't have to worry about those pesky socks that bog me down another few ounces...because man, I don't want to dare add another pound to my already huge number, it would be crazy. I want to be 500lbs. not 502, sheesh. Just kidding...hopefully I am not that big!!! Who knows I haven't been on the scale for a good 2 years. I have been for all my appointments and check-ups but I closed my eyes when I got on the scale and hoped that the nurse wasn't STUPID enough to repeat the giant number out loud. Oh, and I wear no earring, bracelets, or rings. :P
Men on the other hand get on the scale with whatever the heck they happen to have on. They don't care! What's the big deal if their heavy jeans, jersey, and clunky sneakers add on 2 pounds? Biggggg deallllllll...
I use this weighing method whenever I am doing Weight Watchers too...I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. My mom has refused to get on a scale at her doctor's office for years. The nurses thinks she is nuts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will confess I am the friend that has refused to get on the scale....my line is: "I'll pass on it for today." LMBO!!!!!!!! How pathetic but maybe I should view myself more positively like Jill does...I'm a GENIUS. That sounds so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, that doesn't sound like you! :) I don't think it's a big deal to skip that part, after all it's not a necessary part of the appointment. I haven't even been to the Dr in a few years...what do I need to go there for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel goes to the doctor like I go to the dentist, but don't tell her, okay?

    I never thought of refusing the doctor's scale. Guess I was hoping to find out if my scale at home was accurate, actually, I was hoping it was several pounds heavier than it should have been. No such luck. Now I avoid the doctor too. It must run int he family.

    ReplyDelete